In this blog I will show how to upgrade your Unifi Network Controller docker container on a Synology Nas. When you are running Unifi in a docker container you will see once in a while the pop-up “Controller software update *.**.** is now available.
Instead of pressing the download button and install the software, when running a docker container you will need to update the container and not upgrade the software in the container.
1. Always start with downloading a backup of the controller. If something goes wrong you can always restore the configuration using this file. Log on to the unify controller -> press the “Cog Wheel” -> Controller Settings -> Backup and press “Download”
2. Log on to your Synology NAS and open “Docker”. Select “registry” and download the latest version of the Unifi Controler image.
3. Wait for the download to finish. A popup will be shown when the download is complete.
4. Select “Container” and stop the Unifi Container.
5. Right click the container and select “Action” -> “Reset”
6. Select “Yes” in the popup
7. Turn on container and wait some minutes for the container to start.
8. Log on to the Unify Controller -> press the “Cog Wheel” -> Controller Settings -> Basics -> About. The Controller Version should be the same as in the initial update popup.
9. The update has now been completed and all the settings should be still in place. If not you can always use the backup to restore.
19-08-21 updated step 5 and 6 from “clear” to “reset”. Thanks Julian for your reply.